(Makes 6 Servings)
2 1/4 cups pumpkin puree
2 shallots, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups vegetable broth
1/3 cup light coconut milk
1 1/2 Tbsp. maple syrup or agave nectar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
GARLIC KALE SESAME TOPPING (Optional)
1 cup roughly chopped kale
2 large garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp. raw sesame seeds
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1. To a large saucepan over medium heat add 1 Tbsp. olive oil, shallot and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly browned and translucent. Turn down heat if cooking too quickly.
2. Add remaining ingredients, including the pumpkin, and bring to a simmer.
3. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the soup has reduced and thickened slightly.
4. Puree with an immersion blender or in a stand blender until very smooth.
5. Serve as is or with Kale-Sesame topping.
6. For the Kale-Sesame topping: In a small skillet over medium heat, dry toast sesame seeds for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently until slightly golden brown. Be careful as they can burn quickly. Remove from pan and set aide. To the still hot pan, add olive oil and garlic and sauté until golden brown—about 2 minutes. Add kale and toss, then add a pinch of salt and cover to steam. Cook for another few minutes until kale is wilted and then add sesame seeds back in. Toss to coat and set aside for topping soup.
7. Leftovers keep in the fridge for up to a few days and in the freezer for up to a month or more.
Nutrition Information: 1/2 C serving 130 calories, 7g fat, 20g carbs, 2g protein