Mediterranean Bison Burgers
1 pound ground bison
1/2 cup cooked spinach, squeezed dry
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill (dried will work too)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 whole wheat or whole grain burger buns (Ezekiel brand makes a good one)
3/4 cup nonfat or low-fat Greek-style plain yogurt
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
Pinch of kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill to medium-high. You can do these in the oven too. I’ve made them both ways. They’re a little better on the grill, but either will work.
- Place bison, spinach, feta, 2 teaspoons dill, oregano, cumin, garlic, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large mixing bowl and combine. Form into 4 oval-shaped patties roughly the size of the rolls.
- Grill the burgers until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 155°F, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- To prepare yogurt sauce: Combine yogurt, lemon zest and juice, 1 teaspoon dill and mint in a small bowl. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Assemble the burgers on rolls with the yogurt sauce, cucumber, tomato and onion.
Nutrition Facts (1 burger patty + 1 bun + fresh veggie toppings + 1/4 yogurt mixture): 392 calories; 16 g fat (6 g sat, 1 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 6 g fiber; 671 mg sodium; 458 mg potassium.
Recipe from: www.eatingwell.com