Fad Diets: Don’t Be A Victim
Most diets, even if followed for a short period of time, will lead to weight loss initially. However, many people re-gain the weight back some time after stopping the diet. Restrictive diets can also cause a loss of muscle mass, the opposite of what most CrossFitters are looking to accomplish.
Here are some simple strategies for spotting a fad diet:
Overemphasizes one food or food group
- Bans a specific food or food group
- Suggests a food or product can enhance body chemistry
- Guarantees rapid weight loss
- Requires specific food combinations
- Rigid menus- Ask yourself, “can I eat this way for the rest of my life?”
- Never mentions physical activity
- Is short-term
- Does not advise people with diabetes or high blood pressure to seek advice from their physician
Pros & Cons of Common Diets
(there are obviously may more than those listed, I just wanted to mention a few I encounter on a regular basis as a dietitian)
|Cleanses Juicing Detoxes||
*If you have specific questions about your diet or want help making improvements see a registered dietitian!