Dining out does not have to be stressful when your trying to watch what your eating. With some preparation and planning it is possible to eat healthy and enjoy the dining out experience.
Here are some helpful hints:
1. Find the nutrition facts of your favorite restaurants.
2. Highlight the healthy options so you know what to order ahead of time.
3. Order an appetizer and a side salad as a meal.
4. Choose light dressings or vinaigrettes.
5. Choose poultry and fish dishes that are grilled, steamed, baked, poached, roasted or broiled as opposed to fried.
6. Choose lean cuts of meat like loin or flank.
7. Don’t be afraid to modify the menu. Ask for meals to be broiled instead of fried and vegetables rather than french fries on the side.
8. Be aware of words such as butter, oil, au gratin, gravy, batter or Alfredo. These add extra fat and calories to the meal.
9. Ask the waiter to wrap half of your meal before it gets to the table. You can feel free to eat everything on the plate.
10. Skip the buffet because it can be hard to control portions and also the more choices one has, the more they are tempted to eat.
11. Limit or avoid the basket of bread or chips that are put on the table.
12. Have small meals and healthy snacks during the day to avoid dining out on an empty stomach.
Healthier Fast Food Choices
Subway Veggie Delite Sandwich
Nutr Facts: 310 cal., 10 g total fat (4.5 g sat. fat), 20 mg chol., 485 mg sodium, 42 g carb. (3 g fiber, 6 g sugars), 14 g pro.
Starbucks Egg White & Feta Wrap
Nutr Facts: 290 cal., 10 g total fat (3.5 g sat. fat), 20 mg chol., 830 mg sodium, 33 g carb. (6 g fiber, 4 g sugars), 19 g pro.
Panera You Pick Two Turkey Sandwich & Minestrone Soup
Nutr Facts: 310 cal., 7 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 20 mg chol., 1,300 mg sodium, 47 g carb. (11 g fiber, 9 g sugars), 18 g pro.
Panda Express Broccoli Beef Bowl (no rice) & 2 egg rolls
Nutr Facts: 312 cal., 11 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 10 mg chol., 1,208 mg sodium, 42 g carb. (7 g fiber, 8 g sugars), 14 g pro.
Chipotle 3 Chicken Tacos
Nutr Facts: 390 cal., 12.5 g total fat (3.5 g sat. fat), 115 mg chol., 870 mg sodium, 32 g carb. (3 g fiber, 4 g sugars), 33 g pro.
Chick Fil A Chargrilled Chicken + Side of Fruit
Nutr Facts: 340 cal., 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 60 mg chol., 790 mg sodium, 49 g carb. (4 g fiber, 20 g sugars), 28 g pro.