Homemade Oatmeal & Protein Bars
2 C old-fashioned oats
1 C protein powder (I use an unflavored powder but vanilla/ chocolate would work too)
¼ C slivered almonds (optional)
1/3 C craisins, raisins, dried cherries, or dried blueberries
½ T cinnamon
¼ C peanut or almond butter
¼ C honey
¼ C almond milk (any other variety would work too – soy, regular milk, etc.)
¼ C unsweetened applesauce
¼ C dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Combine the oats, protein powder, almonds, dried fruit of your choice, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl mix the peanut or almond butter, honey, almond milk, applesauce and microwave for 30 seconds or until the peanut butter is soft.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spray 9×9 pan with non-stick spray and press the mixture into the pan so that the thickness of the bars will be even when cut. It will be really sticky and sometimes I spray a piece of aluminum foil with non-stick spray as well to use for pressing and flattening the mixture.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, cut into bars and enjoy.
Makes: 10 large bars and 16 smaller bars
*Nutrition information based on full size bar including all ingredients listed above: 200 calories, 10.5g protein, 33g carbohydrates, 5g fat